A short pause in direct U.S.-Iran fighting ended with Iranian ballistic missiles aimed at a U.S.-used base in Jordan and retaliatory U.S.-Saudi attacks on Iran-aligned militia sites in Iraq. Jordan's military said its air defenses intercepted and destroyed five missiles launched from Iran early Wednesday, after explosions were reported over the kingdom during the overnight attack. Iran's Revolutionary Guard said it fired ballistic missiles at Muwaffaq Salti Air Base and what it described as a U.S. Central Command headquarters in Jordan; that target description was an Iranian claim.
U.S. Central Command said the earlier Iranian barrage was an attempted surprise attack on American forces and that the incoming missiles were defeated without a publicly reported U.S. casualty. CENTCOM said U.S. and Saudi aircraft then struck logistics and weapons sites in eastern Iraq used by Iran-backed militias after more than 30 drone attacks over the preceding 72 hours.
Iraq's Popular Mobilization Forces said 20 people were killed and 32 wounded in the strikes, but the full identities, affiliations and roles of the casualties were not independently established. Iran also claimed that it stopped three oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz, while AP reported that independent confirmation of the vessel identities, locations and circumstances was not available.
The missile attack was Iran's first against a U.S. base since President Trump paused American strikes on Friday to allow another diplomatic effort, according to Axios and CENTCOM's chronology. The pause had lasted only three days and had never been set out in a jointly published ceasefire text covering Iran-aligned armed groups, Iraqi territory or maritime enforcement.
Muwaffaq Salti Air Base hosts U.S. forces and had already been attacked earlier in July, when American service members were killed and the United States began a 13-night strike campaign. Iran-aligned militias in Iraq retain their own organizations and political relationships, so attribution by Tehran or Washington does not by itself establish the command chain for every drone attack.
The Strait of Hormuz normally carries roughly one-fifth of globally traded oil, making independently verified shipping incidents distinct from uncorroborated wartime claims about vessel control. As of the edition cutoff, The complete target list, casualty identities, damage at the Iraqi sites, tanker locations and diplomatic communications were not independently available at the edition cutoff. The available reports distinguish measurements and attributed claims from conclusions that had not yet been established. Where officials supplied numbers, those figures remain subject to revision as agencies reconcile records and publish later updates. Subsequent records may therefore change the totals without changing the initial chronology. The next factual records to examine are whether Iran or the United States launches another direct strike cycle and whether Iraq, Jordan or maritime authorities publish independently verifiable damage and vessel records.
