Authorities in southwestern China said 41 people had been confirmed dead and 20 remained missing after the July 17 landslide in Chongqing. The updated toll transformed an ongoing search into one of the month's deadliest natural disasters while recovery teams continued looking for missing residents. The Pengshui county government said the confirmed death toll had reached 41 after 30 additional victims were identified.
Twenty people remained missing at the latest official count. The July 17 slide buried at least 10 residential buildings and a passenger minibus in an outer county of Chongqing. More than 1,100 people living near slopes and low-lying areas were evacuated during the initial response.
Ten people were injured in the disaster, according to the updated official report. Search teams divided the site into four major sections and used DNA analysis to identify recovered remains. The wreckage of the missing passenger minibus was found late Sunday before the identification update.
Heavy rock and soil moved across a populated slope, leaving both building debris and unstable terrain for rescuers to examine.
The remaining evidentiary limit is specific: Authorities had not published a final cause analysis, a complete list of the missing or a timetable for concluding the search. The next records expected to change the factual picture are updates to the missing-person and casualty totals and engineering findings on rainfall, slope stability and construction exposure. Until those records appear, the attributed figures, filings and official descriptions remain the most current public account and may be revised by the institutions that produced them. Each figure refers to the date and scope identified above; it does not imply a later total or broader category. Subsequent orders, filings, datasets or official updates can revise those figures without changing the documented sequence of events at the cutoff.
