President Donald Trump announced that Hamas had accepted a framework to disarm as Israeli forces withdraw from Gaza in verified stages. The announcement addresses the hardest unresolved part of the nine-month ceasefire, but implementation could take most of a year and the parties are not yet describing the sequence in the same terms. Trump said the framework would be carried out in carefully structured phases, with Israeli forces withdrawing as disarmament is completed and new Palestinian police and an international stabilization force assume security duties.

Associated Press reported that a Hamas official confirmed an agreement on disarmament on Friday, while Israel’s United Nations mission offered no immediate indication that Israel had accepted the newly described terms. U.S. and Board of Peace officials said Gaza’s civilian police could begin transferring weapons within two weeks, but most Hamas fighters and heavy weapons are outside that initial step. The October 2025 ceasefire’s second phase had stalled over the linked questions of Hamas disarmament, Israeli withdrawal, postwar governance and reconstruction.

Officials gave a range of roughly 200 to 350 days for heavy weapons, tunnels and other military infrastructure to be surrendered or decommissioned. Axios reported that Hamas official Ghazi Hamad said disarmament would not begin before an Israeli withdrawal, a sequence that differs from the phased reciprocal process described by Trump and U.S. officials. Trump’s 20-point plan calls for one civilian administration, one legal system and one legitimate security authority in Gaza, backed during transition by an international stabilization force.

The proposed National Committee for the Administration of Gaza would take authority area by area only after monitors verify that relevant commitments have been fulfilled. Large parts of Gaza remain destroyed, most residents are displaced or living in temporary shelter, and military strikes and deaths have continued after the ceasefire.

The evidentiary boundary at publication is specific: Israel has not publicly confirmed the announced agreement, the withdrawal timetable is unfinished, officials spoke anonymously, and public accounts differ on which party must act first. The current account therefore distinguishes completed events from announced, proposed or still-contested steps. Statements by governments, companies, litigants and advocacy organizations establish what those parties said; they are not treated as independent proof of every underlying assertion. Numerical values describe the source period and category identified in the reporting and may be revised by the responsible institution.

The next public records expected to update this account are a formal Israeli response and published implementation timetable and the first verified transfer of police weapons and any monitored Israeli redeployment. Until those records appear, the dates, totals, procedural posture and attributed descriptions above are the latest checked account for the July 31 edition. A later filing, official release, verified field report or corrected dataset could change a total or timetable without erasing the documented sequence at this cutoff.

No weapons transfer, full Israeli withdrawal or territory-wide security handoff had been independently verified at the publication cutoff. The article therefore records the agreement as a conditional framework and preserves the parties’ differing descriptions of order, timing and assent.